The teenage years are a crucial stage in human development. Not only are young people making the all-important transition between childhood and adulthood, they are becoming more active agents in shaping their own lives. How do we support them at this key point in their development, when so many teens are struggling with anxiety, depression, self-doubt and emerging addictions? How do we help teens recognize the influences on their thinking, mood, behaviour and choices: influences they are often unaware of. Dr. Stuart Shanker says the key is helping adolescents understand stress, how they are affected by excess stress and what they can do about it.
Feeling Stressed is a new TMC course that will help teenagers truly understand stress and how they are influenced by it, while giving them the tools to respond to, and even thrive in the face of the stresses in their lives.
Teenage learners will be guided through a video and activity-based, online program consisting of 15x 30 minutes modules:
- Stress and Self-Regulation
- Stress and the Brain
- Other People's Stress
- 5 Steps of Self-Reg
- Reframing Stress Behaviour
- Recognize Stressors Across 5 Domains
- Reduce the Stress Load
- Reflect and Develop Stress Awareness
- Restore Energy
- Strategies in the Biological Domain
- Strategies in the Emotion Domain
- Strategies in the Prosocial Domain
- Strategies in the Social Domain
- Strategies in the Cognitive Domain
- That's a Self-Reg Wrap!
This course is structured around The Stressed Detective Mini-Movie, with each module containing:
- A clip from The Stressed Detective Mini-Movie (take a sneak peek here!)
- A 5-minute video with Dr. Susan Hopkins connecting Detective Bradford Cannon's journey to the Self-Reg activity
- An infosheet on the module topic
- A worksheet activity
For an overview of The Stressed Detective and a list of Teen Course learning outcomes, click here.
You will additionally get access to a bank of materials for educators and parents.
Feeling Stressed can be taken by individuals or educator-led class groups. Parents and educators are welcome to take this course as well to further their understanding of Self-Reg in the teenage years.
- Individual Teen or Parent - $50
- Individual Teacher (single group log in for use in a single classroom of ~30 students) - $250
- Individual School (single group log in for use at a single school site) - $600
*A limited number of equity priced registrations are available annually for those who are paying for this offering personally. We do ask that if you are a funded organization or if you are receiving funding to cover the cost of your registrations, that you leave the lower-priced registrations for those that do not have funding.
Once purchased, you will have access until July 2021, corresponding to the 2020/2021 school year.
This course will be hosted through our online eSchool. Group registrations will receive a single shareable log in. See our eSchool technical requirements here.
*Group Memorandum of Understanding